Q: I just wrecked my car, what should I do?

A: If the vehicle has been towed, the police should have given you a slip of paper with the case# & badge# on it a long with a number to call to get a copy of your police report. Get the report as soon as possible and contact your insurance company advising them of the accident. If you have been ticketed, you may be at fault and that may affect whether the insurance company will reimburse for repairs.

Q: What if I was ticketed at the scene, and was not truly at fault, or the police officer confused the facts received from me & the other driver?

A: You can contest the police report. Get a copy immediately and go down the police station and request a meeting with the officer that wrote the report. The badge number will be the best way to identify the officer.

Q: My car was towed after the accident, how do I get it back?
A: If you have insurance coverage, the storage and towing should be covered by your insurance carrier. They will arrange the release of the vehicle to you if no repairs are to be performed.

Q: The place that has my car is demanding money for towing, storage and my insurance company says I am not covered. What are my options?

A: Get the car moved to a storage free facility. Storage facilities are ruthless and will charge you the daily maximum in that state along with administrative fees. They will also deny you access to your car and personal belongings. A swift decision is in order. If you cannot store the car safely, call (888) 629-2137 and we will pick up and store the car for free if we buy the vehicle.

Q: My car is in storage and is badly damaged and I have no place to have it towed, what are my options?

A: Sell the damaged vehicle immediately. Most damaged vehicle buyers will pay to remove the vehicle and tow it away for free. DamageMAX.com will buy your wreck and pay

Q: My insurance company says that the accident was not my fault and my claim will be handled by the other party’s insurance company. Is this bad?

A: This is pretty much standard procedure today but it does not work in your favor. The other party’s insurance carrier has no interest in making you happy, you are not the customer. Poor service is the norm and no special consideration is given because you have been with them for 20 years. If things don’t go smoothly escalate your claim by calling supervisors. If your vehicle is a total loss, you will need to do lots of homework and be prepared to stand your ground to get paid a fair settlement.

Q: My vehicle is less than a year old and I got hit at a stoplight by a distracted driver. The police ticketed him and he is at fault. Can I be compensated for the loss in value due to the accident?
A: Absolutely, but insurance companies will evade diminished value compensation at all costs. You will need to establish a concrete diminished value loss estimate which CrashCalculator.com can provide. In most circumstances, you can negotiate a DV settlement with our Diminished Value Market Report.

Q: I crashed my truck into a tree and the vehicle is not a total loss. Can I collect diminished value compensation from my insurance company after the vehicle is repaired?

A: Technically, yes but it is with great difficulty and financial pain that you would get an award. Diminished Value exists on any vehicle that has been in a wreck, but the compensation for that loss is generally the obligation of the “at fault” party’s insurance company. Since that is your insurance company in the above example, it is unusual for a claim to be filed against one’s self.

Q: My car was in a bad wreck and is severely damaged but my insurance company says they have to fix it – a total loss is not possible because I did not meet the state threshold. What options do I have?

A: Get a copy of the collision repair estimate and ask the adjuster what his ACV is for your vehicle? The Actual Cash Value is the figure that the insurance company will use to decide whether to repair or total your vehicle. This number can be inflated or deflated to serve a purpose – we have seen both countless times. The other variable is the repair estimate that can be inflated or deflated for the same purpose. Generally, collision shops will write a lower estimate than required to prevent the insurance company from totaling your vehicle – so they can get the repair work. They will subsequently request additional repair reimbursement (supplemental repairs) once the vehicle is disassembled and cannot be removed, also referred to as “torn down.” Supplemental Repair Requests are submitted on 1 out of every 3 claims.

Q: My vehicle has sustained a lot of damage, but I am still below the total loss threshold in my state. Is there any recourse?
Y: Most insurance carriers will total a vehicle if they get within 10% of the threshold on the first estimate because supplemental repair requests are so frequent. Here is a good Example:

Vehicle Actual Cash Value $20,000
Collision Estimate 1 $11,000

60% total loss threshold $12,000

In the above scenario the vehicle does not meet the total loss threshold, however the estimate could be low, or the body shop may request supplemental repairs that may push the repair total over the threshold. It could also be argued that the ACV is too high, which could put the insurance company in a position of liability so in most cases where the damage is close, a total loss can be requested and the insurance company will concede.